LEVEL 4 CERTIFICATE in SPORTS MASSAGE
This course is designed for individuals intending to use Sports Massage and work within areas such as a leisure centre industry or with sports clubs and competitive athletes and teams.
Students will be able to progress to a Level 5 Diploma
The main aim of the ITEC Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy is to enable learners to gain the practical and theoretical skills necessary to provide Sports Massage Therapy.
It has been designed for practitioners currently working in Sport and Active Leisure, including Osteopaths, Physiotherapists, Sports Therapists and Massage Therapists. The purpose of this specialist qualification is to enrich practitioners’ understanding of advanced anatomical, physiological and pathological principles relevant to the application of Sports Massage. It will provide learners with advanced palpation skills and those needed to analyse posture and range of movement. It will also provide practitioners with a range of advanced skills and massage techniques to prevent and manage injury in Sport and Active Leisure.
- Understanding the muscles’ origin, insertions and actions more clearly to give you enhanced confidence about treating them.
Also, to enable you to massage and stretch appropriately
- Understanding the relevant anatomy, physiology and pathology of massage
- Understanding how joints move and the range of movements possible
- Learning the effects of stress on muscles and joints during exercise
- Analysing posture and range of movement
- Understanding how particular sporting activities can affect muscle groups
- Assessment, prevention and management of injuries
- Sports massage techniques
- Injury management
- Understanding the principles of injury prevention
- Learning how to advise a stretching routine to client
- Working and recording case studies 5 clients, 3 treatments each
- Rehabilitation exercises
- Understand the relevant anatomy, physiology and pathology of massage
- Cover the practical application of sports massage
- Learn to critically evaluate massage strategies and methods to inform on future treatments
- Palpate structures of the musculoskeletal system
- Analyse posture and range of movement
- Understand the effects of massage methods on the body and mind
- Prepare for massage methods
- Assess clients
- Devise massage strategies for clients
- Apply massage methods to prevent and manage injury.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of massage methods.
- Work within agreed standards of practice
Student insurance and subsequent full professional insurance can be obtained
through the following organisations:
The Sports Massage Association
Complementary Therapists Association
IPTI Independent Professional Therapists International
Unit 418 - Practical anatomy and physiology for sports massage
- This unit will be assessed by an externally set multiple choice and short answer question paper
- 5 treatment evidence forms for Unit 418 covering analysis of posture and range of movement
Unit 419 - Applying massage methods to prevent and massage injuryPRACTICAL ASSESSMENT
- All candidates will be examined via a practical examination of their technical skills and treatments techniques
- Evidence of 100 hours of treatments to include: 50 hours of event work to be recorded in event log and 50 hours of treatment evidence. Consultation including medical history, treatment details, after/homecare advice, candidates and client signature and treatment date
- This unit will be assessed by an externally set 2 hour written paper
You will be required to already hold the following qualifications:
ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Anatomy and Physiology and Massage (or equivalent)
ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Holistic Massage (or equivalent)
Open to Osteopaths, Physiotherapists and Sports Massage Therapists
Course Fee £1200
£300 deposit and 3 installments of £300
Examination fees: £90
Course sessions start at 9.30am and finish by 5pm
Course length 6 months
Please go to enrolments to apply online
Next Available START DATE
Thousands of examinations have been conducted every year since I.T.E.C.'s inception in 1973 making them rightfully claim to be one of the foremost authorities and well respected by prospective employers. The ITEC Qualification is held by most of the leading therapy professionals practicing in Britain today.